Today’s episode of the podcast is an interview with Joyann Boyce who is the founder of social detail which is a social media agency that helps brands increase their brand awareness through social media. Joyann’s main focus and passion is all about inclusion and she is partnered with the shift to create diverse stock photography. We talk all about inclusion and diversity in your social media with practical ideas you can use for your business.
KEY TAKEAWAYS COVERED IN THE PODCAST
- Inclusive marketing is looking at who you are targeting and the diversity within that.
- There are so many different communities out there – make a conscious effort to engage and connect with them.
- You have to put yourself in circles you haven’t been in before.
- Find your intersectional opposite in your business or sector because you have business to talk about – a reason to engage.
- Find a way to make inclusion in your routine.
- You shouldn’t be posting something that doesn’t have alt-text.
- You can add alt-text in the back of an image on Facebook and Instagram. You can also add alt-text on Twitter if you are on a computer or you can add it underneath as a thread.
- Write your hashtags in camel case – as add capitals for every word so it is easier to read.
- When you add Alt-text – add the context of your image and describe the main things in the image.
- Whatever image you are looking to use – add inclusive words when you search for them.
- Make sure you are following people that are serving inclusivity and variety.
- When you are representing yourself – the best thing you can do is be authentic to yourself.
- We have to come from a place of understanding and appreciating what it is like to feel like you don’t fit in.
- Inclusive marketing is so important because we are shaping the narrative for people who don’t understand or have exposure to diversity.
- Conferences need to have experts across the board with diversity, not just on specific panels.
- We all have privileges and things that oppress us in different ways.
- We have to put ourselves in situations where we understand what other people are going through and what it’s like.
- If you’re not being inclusive, you’re missing out on money.
THE ONE THING YOU NEED TO REMEMBER ABOVE ALL ELSE…
We need to make everyone feel welcome to our businesses – no matter where you come from, what you do, whatever the differences.
HIGHLIGHTS YOU SIMPLY CAN’T MISS
- My Marketing Academy 01:33
- Introduction to Joyann 09:47
- Diverse stock images 11:15
- What is inclusive marketing? 15:16
- Backlash to diversity 19:58
- How can we be more inclusive in our marketing? 27:07
- Why is inclusive marketing so important? 40:19
- Inclusivity in speaking 43:50
- Let’s move on 52:26
CHECK JOYANN OUT:
Want the full transcript—click here!