In this episode of the podcast, I have the amazing Jane Travis who used to be a councillor and now helps other counsellors with their marketing. Jane is a very good friend who has really supported me through some really difficult times and I knew she would be the perfect person to bring on and talk about this topic. Today we talk all about mental health and my own struggles I have experienced and hidden up until now.
KEY TAKEAWAYS COVERED IN THE PODCAST
- I have suffered with anxiety for around 14 years now.
- When you are a perfectionist, anxiety can be triggered when something happens that is out of your control.
- Many people may experience mental health problems and you would never know from looking at them or talking to them.
- If everyone keeps their struggles to themselves, this can lead to isolation and feeling embarrassed/ashamed of this.
- We have to find a way to keep going but we also have to be able to say “I need some time off” – you can give yourself permission to stop if you need to.
- Anxiety is very common – it affects us all in different ways.
- Sometimes when we get angry, it’s an accumulation of everything else that has gone on.
- Anxiety and anger are really closely related – the feelings we have are similar.
- Instead of judging yourself when you react to something, turn it on its head and question why you may have reacted like that.
- If you take medication, attach it to something you do every single day without fail and you won’t miss a day.
- Self-care is something we can do every day that can really help.
- Don’t judge yourself and be so hard on yourself.
- Personal development can be really key in how you feel in yourself.
- You learn right up until the day you die. There are always so many new things to learn.
- Mindfulness is doing activities that take you out of your normal headspace – takes your brain from thinking about everything that’s going on.
- We all show our highlights – very little of us show the bad days.
- Just because people show up in a certain way, doesn’t mean we have it all sussed.
- If you haven’t suffered with some sort of mental health, it’s hard to understand why someone can’t just do that thing.
- People only judge because they can’t understand how difficult it can be.
- There are always going to be people who have a critical view of things, what is important is that you look after yourself and get the help you need so you can get on with your life.
- You don’t have to struggle with anxiety for the rest of your life – you can get help.
- Counselling is looking at the reasons you are anxious in the first place – once you have worked that out, you can move forward in a different way.
- “This is a process, I will come out of it”.
- Counselling is the best self-care EVER.
THE ONE THING YOU NEED TO REMEMBER ABOVE ALL ELSE…
You have serious moments and then you will have laughter!
HIGHLIGHTS YOU SIMPLY CAN’T MISS
- An Introduction to Jane – 02:28
- Opening up about mental health – 04:53
- Taking time off work due to mental health – 12:03
- Anxiety – 17:25
- Medication – 27:40
- Self-care – 31:44
- Mindfulness – 35:37
- We are all in this together – 38:57
- Judgement – 45:13
- Getting help – 46:58
LINKS TO RESOURCES MENTIONED IN TODAY’S EPISODE
Want the full transcript−click here!