Before I started my own business, I worked for a number of different larger companies – all of which followed a formality of putting together campaign and strategy documents on a regular basis. Now that I’m my own business, however, I’m a lot more fluid and things can be much easier when it comes to decision making. Although you don’t need to follow the long process that I used to, I want to take the opportunity to talk to you about campaign planning in today’s podcast episode. We’re going to be looking at putting together a campaign plan, how you can structure your campaigns and how to execute them successfully.
Key Takeaways Covered In The Podcast
- One of the first things you need to do is understand your objectives for the year. What is it you want to achieve? What are your targets? Once you know this, you can think about campaigns that will allow you to reach your goals.
- It’s also important to think about your target audience in the early stages of your planning. If you don’t know who you want as your customer, you’re really going to struggle.
- Write down ALL of your ideas, no matter how crazy they are. Write down as many as you can.
- Once you have written down all of your ideas, pick three or four for each objective.
- Take a look at your calendar and see what may impact when you do your campaigns. Split your year in quarters and put a couple of campaigns into quarters.
- If your campaign involves social media, you need to think about whether or not you need artwork. This can take some time and if you’re not planning in advance, you may find you’re unable to create what you need.
- On that note, if you need someone to help you with something, you need to work out when the latest date is you need to let them know by.
- Whilst planning, you also need to think about your expected outcomes. Make sure you’re realistic, yet optimistic.
The one thing you need to remember above all else…
Depending on your objectives and the stage you’re at in your business, you may want to limit the number of campaigns you’re doing each quarter. Make sure you’re not doing more than you can manage.
Highlights You Simply Can’t Miss
- #1 Understand Your Objectives for the Year – 7:05
- #2 Who Are Your Target Audience? – 8:08
- #3 Start Brainstorming – 08:30
- #4 Work Out Which Ideas Are Best – 9:50
- #5 Look at Your Calendar – 11:30
- #6 Deep Dive into Your Campaigns and Start Planning Them in Detail– 13:50
Links to Resources Mentioned in Today’s Episode
Want the full transcript?